Sunday, July 2, 2017

Going Back Home

I've ignored my blog for awhile.  I thought I would share some photos of my "home".  This past week we traveled to my home state of Washington to attend a funeral of our long time friend.  It was bittersweet and yet, we saw many friends (who are really like our family) and that was a joy.

I lived here on the lake in Moses Lake for 22 years.  This view is from my friend's home which was just a house away from where I lived.  The sunset was stunning to say the least.  Moses Lake is in Eastern Washington, right off Interstate 90.  It's a huge agricultural area since the Grand Coulee Dam was built in the last century which brought much needed water to the area.

This was taken at Rye Grass which is on Interstate 90 just after we crossed over the Columbia River.  It's the highest spot in this area hence the glimpse of majestic Mount Rainier in the background.  After you cross the Columbia River at Vantage, there is a sign warning you to "turn off your air conditioner" as the climb up to this point along with hot weather can cause havoc to your car's temperature.  

Going West from Moses Lake, we stopped in my hometown of Ellensburg which is right in the center of the state and home to Central Washington University.  This is a photo of Hebler Hall and when I lived here it was known as Hebler Elementary. I attended this school in 6th Grade.  It had a lovely entrance with curved staircase, fountain and a real library with wood paneled walls!

Here's the home I lived in with my parents when we moved back to Ellensburg in 1965.  It's changed a bit of course.  Just at the end of the block, across the street was Hebler school, a short walk to school.


 This home belonged to Mrs. Taylor, the widow of Dr. Taylor who established a medical clinic in Ellensburg.  It was directly across the street from where we lived.  You can't see it in this photo but this home is three stories high.  I was in sixth grade when I was lucky enough to go inside and tour this stately home.  It reminded me of a Gone With the Wind home.  It's funny,but to this day my style was established due to seeing this home when I was 12 years old!

This is a photo of the home my grandparents lived in after they moved to town from the farm.  Sorry for the bad photo as it was taken through my car windshield.


These home are on a tree lined street.  I was so happy when I saw that this neighborhood still retained it's original look and style.  I love trees!

Down the street from my grandparents home lived my piano teacher, Mrs. Hertz.  This is how her home looks now.  It reminds of Cape Cod style with the siding.  I would love to buy this home as it has such memories of when I would go each week for my lesson.

Downtown Ellensburg has become quite historic looking with many of the buildings being restored to their original design.  I love this advertisement on the side of the building.  I believe it's a horse maybe advertising the well known Ellensburg Rodeo.

It was soon time to head back onto Interstate 90 going west to Seattle where we were going to catch our flight to return to SoCal.  This is a scene that is dear to my heart as it is Thorp where I lived with my parents during my high school years.

Snoqualmie Pass is the highest point of Interstate 90 as the road goes over the Cascade Mountain range.  It can be treacherous during the winter months.  They are in the process of widening the roadway but the scenery was still amazing.

We had planned on driving to Washington from SoCal but we didn't have time to make the drive (it takes two days each way) since we had guests arriving.  It was such a good feeling to go back to my roots and see my hometown where I grew up and the city where I moved after getting married.  And, although it was a sad time, I was blessed to visit with my dear friends.

I hope you have enjoyed these photos from my part of the world.  I'm back home in SoCal where the weather is delightful for the next couple of days.  I hope wherever you are, you have a joyous Fourth of July and stay safe.

With my best wishes,

Pat





8 comments:

  1. So sad about your friend, but also how lovely to revisit your hometown. What a beautiful place you grew up in xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place to call home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the photos very much, what a beautiful place to grow up. Though I've visited many states I've never been to Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely to see where you are from, Pat. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. We have a young friend coming over tomorrow who has family living in Moses Lake, and now you have helped me have a better idea of what it looks like when she mentions visits there.
    The sunset you saw was gorgeous! Wishing you a safe and Happy July 4th. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the loss of your friend! Memory Eternal! Beautiful pictures and places! It's hard to move away. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like seeing all these pictures of that special place. Indeed, a stunning view by the lake!
    In my mind the house in 'Gone with the wind' was fabulous so I smiled when I read you compared the house of the doctor to that.
    Great that you found some beautiful memories while going overthere for something sad.
    Wishing you a nice day, Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you were able to take a little time to go exploring and to be able to share your home with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post. I enjoyed seeing the different houses and reading a little something about each one. You've inspired me to try to collect together pictures of the homes I've lived in. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!