Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Scones

I follow a wonderful blogger who lives in the north of England.  The other day she sent out a recipe for Christmas Biscuits.  I was so excited to try the recipe so I prepared all the dry ingredients yesterday thinking that I would wake up this morning and make these wonderful biscuits for breakfast.

Well, I took another look on her blog and found out that these "biscuits" were really cookies!  I should have known this.  My daughter spent two wonderful years in England and I know that the British call our cookies biscuits and they call our cakes and desserts, puddings.  I guess my age is getting the best of me.

Anyway, I still went ahead with my Christmas biscuits this morning, but I made them into scones.  When I go to coffee shops and order scones, they are usually so dry.  And, if you add too much butter, they are too rich.  I hope you will like these.  They go great with a morning cup of coffee.  Here is my recipe:

CHRISTMAS SCONES

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup finely ground almonds (almond meal)
1/4 teaspoon of:  allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cardamon and cinnamon
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg, beaten
"scant" 1/2 cup of milk

1 egg for eggwash
decorator sugar

In large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients together.  Blend in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.   In small bowl, beat egg and add the milk.  Pour into dry mixture and blend just until it sticks together.  (Dough may be a little wet but don't add more flour).


 Place dough on floured board and flatten with hands to a thickness of about 3/4".  Cut out with your favorite biscuit cutter.  Place cut out biscuits on parchment lined pan.


 Beat 1 egg with a teaspoon of water for the egg wash and brush each scone with egg and sprinkle some sugar on each.  I used this colorful decorators sugar.




Bake in a 375  degree oven for about 15 minutes (or a little more depending on which type of baking pan you use).  Bake until just lightly browned on the bottom.  





 Remove pan from oven and place scones on wire rack to cool.  This recipe makes about 15 scones.

E

Enjoy with a cup of hot coffee or your favorite beverage!

2 comments:

  1. Those look good momma! Did you ground your almonds or can you actually buy "almond meal"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. You can buy ground almonds at a Persian market or grind your own. Use skinned almonds and grind until it resembles cornmeal.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!