Sunday, November 27, 2016

Turkey & Stuffing Pie

Hello Everyone.  I'm writing this from a cold, windy and rainy early afternoon here in southern California.  The rains arrived yesterday and it's glorious to see it coming down from the sky.  I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and you might still have some turkey leftover from the holiday meal?  If so, here's a simple, fast recipe that can use up that leftover turkey.

It's a simple stuffed turkey pie made with ingredients you may already have in your pantry.  I cheated and used a ready made pie crust and stuffing.  Here's the ingredients:
Pie crust for top and bottom
1 Pkg stove top stuffing  (add celery if you wish)
Approximately 2 cups cut up turkey or chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup*
1/3 cup milk or water
1/4 to 1/2 cup dried fried onions (or use sauteed onion)
spices of your choice; salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, etc.
7" deep dish baking pan, greased well

I started off by making the stuffing mix according to package directions.  I added approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup more of broth/water to the stuffing mix since it needs to be moist since it will bake and can dry out. 
*You can substitute cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom or cream or celery

Cut up the turkey pieces and place them in a bowl along with the soup mix, some milk or water, onions and herbs and spices of your choice. Mix together.

Grease the baking pan and line the bottom with the first sheet of the pie crust.  Place turkey/soup mixture in the bottom of the pan.

Next, add the stuffing on top of the turkey mixture.

My top sheet of pie pastry was too large, so I cut approximately 1" from around the edges and then carefully tucked in the edges of the pie pastry around the pan.

Here is my turkey pie before baking and before I added the leaf decorations.  Go ahead and add decorations if you wish from the leftover pie pastry.  Bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until pastry becomes golden brown.

Remove pie from oven and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes before taking out of baking tin.  To remove, I invert the pie into a large shallow bowl, remove the baking pan, and turn it onto a serving plate.

I hope this recipe works for you.  If you don't like the ingredients, you can switch it around to your taste.  It provides a quick and easy dinner dish accompanied with a nice green salad.

I'm going to sign off now to enjoy this rain and warm up with a cup of tea!

With my best wishes,

Pat

4 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds delicious. I always envy you your thanksgiving. Before you know it it will be Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I may try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I trust you had a good Thanksgiving, Pat. The pie looks delicious. I hope you have a good week rain or shine.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!