Sunday, March 17, 2013

Texas Longhorns and Tea at the Adolphus Hotel

Hi y'all.  I just returned from a trip to Texas.  I had a great time and so I thought I would share a little with you.

Last summer we toured the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas.  The hotel was built by Adolphus Busch, a German immigrant, of the Anheuser-Busch Company (think beer).  In 1912 it was the tallest building in Texas.  It's a lovely, grand hotel that serves afternoon tea on the weekends.


They set up the tables in the hotel's lobby for the tea service.  Needless to say, the ambiance it wonderful!

So, this time I made sure we made reservations for the tea.  It was a lovely afternoon.


My husband, Fouad,  and son, Andrew, of course joined me.  They acted like they enjoyed the experience.


The hotel has an exquisite room called The French Room.  They serve a special dinner there during specific days of the week.  The decor is unbelievable with chandeliers and hand painted ceilings.


This photo is really poor since the room was closed off to visitors while I was there. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip visited the Adolphus back in 1991 on one of their visits to the US.


This is a picture of that visit with their signatures at the bottom.  There's also a large cabinet display with vintage photos and memorabilia.  Here's a photo of the Queen from that display:


On Monday we ventured west of Ft. Worth to an area called Possum Kingdom Lake.  My son is building some homes on the lake and the scenery is quite natural and pretty.  Along the way we found this awesome Texas Longhorn grazing.


Last summer while we were in Texas we stayed at a resort and got to go out each morning and feed the longhorns.  They are quite gentle animals and a must to see if you ever have the chance.

The weather this time was great in Ft. Worth.  Last summer it was in the 90's (day and night) - too hot for me!  Anyway, we visited Ft. Worth Botanic Garden.  It's a large preserve right near the heart of the city.


I think if we would have been a couple of weeks later, we would have seen all the beautiful spring flowers in bloom.


On Wednesday we visited the United States Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  (The place that prints 65% of all US currency).  Years ago, I visited the facility in Washington, DC.  In 1991 they opened the Ft. Worth facility.  It's huge, like 800,000 square feet.  Due to security, I was unable to take any photos.  The tour is free and if you are ever in the area, I highly recommend this tour.  You walk along a raised, glassed in walkway, above the facility.  So, you can look down and see the money being printed.  We had the pleasure to meet one of the official engravers who has worked for the BEP since 1967.  It was a fun tour.

That's about all I  have to share in regard to the big state of Texas.  While I was there, I finished this knitted, rolled brim baby hat from my Planet Penny yarn.  I now have to knit the booties to match.





Which reminds me, don't forget to visit Handmade Harbour. There are so many great ideas and wonderful blogs that you will want to subscribe to.

I wish each of you a wonderful week and remember, I would love to hear from you if you have the time.





21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! The hotel looks fabulous.
    I love the hat, the pink is so pretty and the contrasting yellow is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It's always nice to visit with family. I wish you a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Wow! What wonderful photo's! Love that daffodil (?) Sounds as though it was a brilliant trip! Love the hat nice for a baby hat to be vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I'm happy you liked my "poor" photos. I'm not too tech savvy! Wishing you a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. Texas has a lot of fun things to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you son. It was great visiting with you! love, MOM

      Delete
  4. Hi momma, those are great photos! Hopefully Andrew will take me to tea at the Adolphus when we go to visit him! I'll pass on feeding the longhorns though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juji, that is a compliment coming from a great photographer like you! I'm sure Andrew will take you to tea. love, MOM

      Delete
  5. Great photos - looks like you had a really good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I did have a wonderful time. I wish my photos were better but at least it gives an idea of Texas and the lovely setting. I hope you have a great week! Pat

      Delete
  6. Wow- that's an impressive looking hotel, and afternoon tea looks like a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and seeing my blog. I love old things and the hotel didn't disappoint. It was a fun afternoon. I wish you a wonderful week. Pat

      Delete
  7. The hotel looks beautiful, and I love the colours you have used for the baby hat!
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, thank you for your kind words. It's always fun to knit baby items. I hope you have a good week. Pat

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a wonderful trip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie. It was nice time. I hope you are having a good week :)

      Delete
  9. The hotel looks really lovely and so does tea - very yummy. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's always fun to visit historic places. I wish you a good week too! :)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh how lovely! I'd adore to go to Texas - my best friend went to Uni there and it always sounds wonderful - it's on my bucket list :-) Love the hat too - can't wait to see the matching booties! Have a great week, Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simmi thank you for your comments. There's so much to see in the big state of Texas! I hope you get to see it one day soon. Wishing you a wonderful week, Pat

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!