Thursday, May 26, 2016

A Wedding, Houses, and Knitting of Course!

Hello my dear friends and new readers.  I hope you have had a good week.  I thought I would share a snapshot of what's been happening in my world.

My husband and I attended a wedding on Saturday.  It was a lovely celebration with the reception  held at a hotel on the beach.  We decided to take Uber to the wedding since finding parking in a beach town on the weekends is very difficult.  We've taken Uber before overseas but never in our own neighborhood.  It was really quite pleasant and luckily, my son-in-law showed me how to use the app.  Our driver was a retired management executive who decided to drive for Uber to make a little extra money now that he has lots of time on his hands.  In fact, he now trains new Uber drivers.  The cost was approximately $34; it was higher since it was during a peak time.  Our good friends insisted to take us home after the reception which was very kind of them. (I'm having them over for dinner next week to thank them for their generousity).   In the meantime, our daughter was texting us wanting to know if we arrived safely, etc.  She even texted me to see if our friends would be safe driving us home! I think the parental roles are being reserved now in our later years. . .

Yesterday my daughter called me rather in a panic since she heard a home was on fire in her street.  It turned out to be a home a couple of streets down from her street but still it was a scary situation.  A man had barricaded himself in this home and  had set the home on fire.  In fact, she couldn't get home since the SWAT team had set up a mobile station right in the middle of her street.  After a couple of hours the man surrendered.   From what we know, it looks like it was a domestic violence case that set up this scenario.  I feel bad for all the people involved.  The neighborhood has started  a fund to assist the woman and her two small children who have been displaced.  I'm glad that the fire didn't cause harm to the family or more damage to the surrounding area.

Speaking of homes, last week I told you I would have some news to share with you. We found a new home, agreed on the purchase price and signed the real estate purchase contract.  But, after sharing the news with our children, they had some concerns that apparently we had overlooked.  Long story short, we were able to cancel the purchase agreement.   The home had lots of great perks like a wonderful ocean view, totally renovated with a kitchen to die for, brick wall, and reclaimed barn wood flooring to name a few.  I could just see my gold Egyptian furniture and crystal chandelier against the ultra modern design.  But, it lacked a couple of vital things  that ended up being too critical to ignore.  Again, roll reversal happening with our children.  We initially thought that if we didn't like it, we could rent it out and return to our home which we had planned to keep and rent out.  But, luckily our children were watching over us.  Right now, we have decided that we will stay where we are and even though my husband absolutely hates taking care of the pool, we are happy to stay in our home. 

Above is a little house that is picture perfect in every day.  When my daughter and I went to our Mother's Day tea, we visited a fun garden store.  She saw some of these little fairy gardens and decided she would make one herself.  Since she collects wine crates, she had the perfect beginning to create this mystical garden.  She has a whole collection of these little cottages that she has collected since her youth.  I love the little itty bitty mushrooms.  My little grandson helped her and it was a fun project for the both of them.

 
I'll leave with you this saying that my daughter found for me.  I think it sums up my life perfectly :)  Lately, my knitting has been giving my anxiety (in a fun way, of course), and hopefully I'll soon share with you my Wild Poppies Shawl.  It seems as though I'm in a shawl knitting mode right now.  I recently joined  The Shawl Society #1 on Ravelry.  It looks like a fun adventure!  I still haven't found the perfect shawl for myself but maybe I soon will.  In the meantime, I will knit these shawls and do my own shawl ministry for those in need. 

It's a holiday weekend coming up, so have a wonderful, safe holiday and I look forward to chatting with you again soon.  We plan on staying close to home although we are invited to a bar-b-que to kick off the summer season!  Thank you again dear friends for visiting my blog.  You are my true friends!

With my best wishes,


Pat
Linking with:


 For the photos, I wish to thank my daughter, Heidi of  Illuminated Luna 

17 comments:

  1. Loved the photo of you and your hubby, sounds like you had a great time at the wedding. The little cottage garden was a real delight, inspirational. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always sad to hear of people's family tragedies... House fires are frightening, luckily no person got hurt.
    Your daughter's fairy garden looks lovely - indeed happy moments with mother & son.
    Enjoy your holiday weekend Pat - best regards riitta

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy week. Isn't good that your children are now looking out for you. How sad for the family with the burnt down house. B xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you've had a really interesting week, so much happening and things to be decided, no wonder you are anxious! Fun as well though, I look forward to seeing your shawl, it sounds lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you were able to change your minds on the house sale. Such a huge decision and so many things to think about. Can't wait to see your latest knitting project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wedding sounds lovely. Sounds like your children are looking after you ... suddenly they are adults!!!!! Love the fairy garden. Can't wait to see your wild poppy shawl. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the wedding anniversary. Sounds like you had a great time. I haven't used an uber driver but my daughter's boyfriend is one as an extra way to make some more money. He really enjoys doing it. Sorry the house didn't work out. Glad that your kids were looking out for you. The right one will come along.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely photo of you are your husband. It's funny how roles are reversed as we age. I care for my mum who is in her 90's and often find myself saying things to her she used to say to me when I was a child! It is all done with love though, which is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny when our kids think they have to take care of us. We're going on a trip this summer and our daughter is worried that we'll wear ourselves out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Pat seems like yo have had so much going on. Glad you got out of the house if it wasn't what was right for you. Ave a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this post--the uber ride to the wedding and the role reversal with your kids. Those days are upon many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't had an opportunity to ride with Uber, but happy to learn it works well for others. I feel a lot more comfortable taking it in the future. Your kids watching over you is a kick. Oh how times have changed for us over 50 crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pat, my kids use uber all the time, but we haven't tried it yet. It sure makes it easy if you need to go to the airport or want to have a glass or two of wine. Glad that your kids are looking out for you with the housing situation, too. It's too bad about the situation with the house on fire. Domestic violence is so sad. The little fairy garden is wonderful and the kids must have had so much fun putting it together. I am having trouble with a little project I am crocheting right now, too. It can be frustrating. Hope you have a nice holiday weekend! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a lucky escape with the new house. I'm glad everything was sorted and trouble avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good to have others helping us along life's journey - and sometimes those others are great kids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anxiety is so awful, it's all about finding coping mechanisms that work for you. I absolutely love the little cottage, what a lovely idea, your children sound wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely picture! What a blessing to have your children watching out for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!