Thursday, May 14, 2015

Five Cakes Including Syttende Mai "17th of May" Kransekake

Baking is near and dear to my heart.  I love cooking and creating in my kitchen.  I also love sweets, so anytime I have a excuse to make a cake, I take the opportunity!  I thought I'd share with you a new recipe and my link to How To Make a Kransekake which is so appropriate if you are going to celebrate Syttende Mai (Norway's Constitution Day). 

I was on a mission the other day to make a proper tea cake.  But, first  I needed (wanted) a specific type of cake pan and then a recipe that would work.  Does it ever happen to you that you see something in the store and you don't buy it and when you go back, you can't find it?  That's what happened to me in regard to a cake pan.  I had wanted to buy a 7" round cake pan.  It's a bit of a unique size as most are 8" or 9" round cake pans.  Instead, I found this fun little pan which measures about 7 1/2":

From one of my favorite blogs, I found a recipe and then converted the ounces to cups but it didn't turn out well at all....it was so, so dry.  Then I found a recipe from Nigella.  I love her recipes as there's a little "switch" that converts it to cups.  Here's what I made today...

 Do you see the little "cup" at the end...you can sample what you baked!

Pat's Orange Cardamom Tea Cake

1 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cardamom
2 T finely grated orange peel (I used tangerine)
dash of salt
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sifted self rising flour
1/3  cup plain flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour either a loaf pan or a 7 1/2" round cake pan (I line the bottom of the cake pan with a piece of wax paper or parchment paper).

In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar.  Add in cardamom, orange peel and salt.  Mix in one egg at a time, adding in a little flour as you go along.  Add in remaining flour and mix until mixture is well blended.  (Be careful not to over mix or you will end up with holes in your cake).

....notice my old, old kitchen center mixer?  I received it in 1984 as a gift from my dear parents and I still love to use this mixer.......

Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes then take out of pan and let cool on a wire rack.  

 
I love the fine texture of this cake.  It's not too sweet and goes great with a cup or tea of coffee.

My dear friend Reem, make the cake pictured above.  It's Egyptian Kanafa which is made from kataifi dough which is mixed with butter, spices, raisins and nuts and baked until it's a golden, delicious color....

And, here's my version of Nigella's Marzipan Cake which is a very easy make.

A proper little tea cake served to me at the Hawaiian tea in Honolulu....

 And, last but not least here's my Kransekake which is so appropriate for 
Norway's 17th of May - Syttende Mai (click on the link to see how to make one).

Do you have a favorite cake recipe you always like to make?  If so, feel free to share below.  I recently bought myself a proper scale from Williams and Sonoma.  Baking with a scale is new to me but hopefully I will master it!  Wish me luck.

Wishing you the very best,

PAT

Joining in at:


 






20 comments:

  1. I'm doing rather well for cakes at the moment being back home visiting Mum, tea and cake at 4pm everyday! Your teacake looks fabulous, love the idea of making a sampler cake - we're on date and walnut today!
    Enjoy your cake!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words to speak about your cake. All of them has come out good. i want to eat it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the cakes looked impressive, but I loved the look of the Kransekake. It was a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat, well that took me by surprise - I was expecting an English teacake which is like a sweet bread roll filled with dried fruit and maybe a bit of spice. We halve it, toast it and spread with butter. So I've learned something today, thank you! Your cakes look yummy. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some delicious looking and different cakes. I've never seen a cake tin like that before, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of having a sampling section for the cake, how genius is that. Often before serving up, I wonder if it will taste ok, what a clever invention. will be in search of one of those now! Love cardamom, how Scandinavian, I often put it in my baking. will give your cake a try. As to the kransekake, I'm hoping to make mine tomorrow, a little late but it's the only time I will have. In advance of Sunday, gratuler med dagen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last cake...a Norway tradition...looks like a challenge to bake/prepare. But awesome it is.

    And the little sampling cake 'pan'....what a terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful cakes! The kransekake looks and sounds wonderful, I have seen them before and been in awe, so am amazed at your baking skills! Love your vintage mixer too! Sorry to be brief today, but thank you so much for joining in despite me being missing. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cakes look delicious. I love tea cake and posted a recipe two days ago for one with fruit and spices, it's delicious and worth a try x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cakes look wonderful and the tea cake in your new pan looks very tasty. What a good idea to have a little taster cake too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my goodness - I'm hungry!! They all look so delicious but your last cake is an absolute masterpiece!! I don't know that I've ever met, or made, a cake I didn't like. Lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The orange cardamom cake sounds delicious! Perfect with tea. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suddenly I feel in great need of a cup of tea and a little slice of something - I think your orange cardamom cake would fit the bill nicely! Have a great Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake looks lovely. I have to admit that I was never very good at baking until I started reading Nigella - her cake recipes are fantastic, and I've yet to find one that doesn't work. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic cakes! My granny had a mixer like yours, and I often think of it! Your orange cardamom tea cake sounds delicious. In Scotland a "tea cake" is like a flattened fruit scone. They are usually served toasted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love that tin- such a good idea that you have a section so you can try it!! looks very yummy thanks for the recipe will note this down and give a try xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm...cake. You're a girl after my own heart! I may give your recipe a try in the next couple of weeks. I've been baking a cake a week for almost 2 months now and I am loving the results. And so is my family!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm - lovely cakes - I like the sound of that marzipan cake - must look it up - and I love the Norwegian cake - I think I saw Mary Berry making that one recently - looks like quite a lot of effort but very spectacular. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks so yummy!

    I hope you can join my linky too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely looking cakes! What a great pan you found ... love that little cup to have a tester cupcake. I just might do this with my next cake and make one little tester for a treat ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!