Tuesday, February 5, 2019

I Feel Sad Tonight to Be An American Woman





Good Evening.  I'm writing this post since I'm at the age where I feel I have to be true myself.  I've always embraced being outside the box and being my own person.  So, that's why I'm speaking up tonight.  You may not agree with what I say and you may not read my blog again.  But, that's OK as I have to be honest to myself.  

I "listened" to the State of the Union Address tonight.  I knew the women of the Democratic party were going to wear white.  I know my history of woman's rights.  But tonight was too much. When President Trump spoke about his dislike of the late term, third trimester abortion laws that New York recently adopted, many in attendance stood up and applauded.  Not one of those women in white stood up.  Why?  What is wrong with you women?  You surely don't represent what I feel.  

Do you think it is now the new "normal" to abort a child in the third trimester?  Why in the world, if you are so smart and savvy do you even find yourself needing an abortion?  What about birth control?  And, don't tell me you can't afford it.  Have you seen anyone out there today without a cell phone?  If you can afford a cell phone, you can afford birth control!

It boggles my mind that this is the face of today's American woman lead by non other than the latest star, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.  Or, how about the newly elected Palestinian congresswoman who used the "F" word talking to her constituents? (And, for your info, my very best friends are Palestinians whom I love dearly) Where are you manners women? What are these women trying to prove by having such uncouth behavior?  It makes me ashamed to be an American woman in today's society.  That why I'm speaking up.  I'm not a follower on this band wagon to degrade our society even more.  


This isn't meant to be democrat vs republican as our political system is a huge mess with both parties.  It's meant to be a wake up call of what has happened to people's moral compass?  

I'm an Orthodox Christian and a few years ago I read an excellent article by a well known Orthodox writer, Frederica Mathewes-Green. It was about another "star", Gloria Steinem.  I'm sorry but I have no regard for Gloria. She doesn't embody any of the values I have been raised with.  And, to answer your questions, I'm not an uninformed housewife with her head in the sand.  I've worked in the business world and I still run my husband's business day to day.  I'm the go to person in regard to all aspects of the business dealings.  But, what I am proud to say is that I am  a woman, wife, and mother, with value.  A woman who I feel is cultured and most of all kind.  The dearest compliment I received a few years ago was from my children who said I was successful in raising them and having our family.  To me, that is something that I will always hold dear to my heart.  Rather than climbing the corporate ladder to attain what?  An empty ceiling?


I love being me and I will stand up for my values.  I hate profanity, rudeness, and women who have no kindness of heart.  Wake up everyone as we women are the heart of the home.  You take that away and just see what our society will look like.



Regards,

Pat 

15 comments:

  1. Dear Pat: I 100%%% AGREE!!! So much so!!! It is an honour to be a woman, to strive to have a home of love, to care for one's family and to do the best she can do in all things. I have been a professional Master-Level librarian and now I am a wife of a professional and am a homemaker who does 'everything but paid work' and my Husband is supported by me and I by him and I know that we are a team in everything. Our country really has lost so much and we must pray...and hope... I am glad you voiced your mind here and it is wonderful to be Orthodox Christians together and to love all of the beautiful, good things that we both cherish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Elizabeth. I feel the job you and I do is a gift from God. We are blessed with having loving, kind husbands that we can be a team together. I appreciate your support. You said it so much better than me :) Pat xx

      Delete
  2. I had a discussion about this with a priest friend of mine recently. I don't think people are applauding abortion, per se. Rather, I think they are applauding a law that allows women and their doctors to choose what needs to happen without interference from anyone else. I support those who wish to have the choice. I do not think abortion is birth control, though I'm sure some use it that way, since there are always people outside the norm.

    A few years ago, a friend of mine was pregnant with triplets. She had a difficult pregnancy, and in the last two months, it was discovered that one of the babies had died. I do not know details, but her doctor told her that if she carried all three to term it was likely that they would all die; if she had an abortion to remove the dead baby, there was a better than 80 percent chance that she could still have twins. She chose that option after a lot of handwringing and hard thought. I for one supported her decision because it was hers, made with her husband, based on what her doctor told her. And she does have two very healthy boys now.

    I like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, and though I am not a fan of the "f" word, that is not my bellweather for whether or not I admire someone. I think there are others - both political parties, btw - who have done and said much worse things.

    OK, I'll shut up now. And I certainly understand where you are coming from, and I am more than happy you are willing to stand up and state your beliefs. I just wanted to state some of mine, and ask for the same consideration.

    Onward together, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Bridget for your input as I appreciate and respect your views. I myself am against abortion (unless as needed as your friend's story above), yet I am not one to judge those who do. I understand everyone's plight is different. But, if I was a Democratic congresswoman, wearing white, I would be against late term abortion. It seems that once you are elected to a party, whether Republican or Democrat, you have to vote the party lines regardless of your own values. That is what upsets me. Many of my family, who are now deceased, would have been blue dog Democrats. They wouldn't know their party today. Republicans are no better in the same sense. It makes me sad. Anyway,I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Hope you are doing well. Pat xx

      Delete
  3. Aw Pat, I so understand your passion. Life is not always so black and white, is it?, and there are many shades of gray.....Abortion is such a terrible thing, but there are times when maybe it should be held open as an option, such as in the example above. Government shouldn't legislate over women's private lives. It should be between a woman, her family and God. There is too much judgement in this world. I hate to see whole groups of people being judged. Especially women. We have fought so hard.....I still remember a time when women had virtually few rights. Women had to stay in abusive situations because divorce was not an option and few opportunities to support themselves, especially with children. There were no educational opportunities other than being a nurse, teacher or secretary and those usually ended at marriage. There was so much sexual harassment and still is. Birth control was unavailable and women were virtually nothing but brood mares. My own Grandmothers and Aunts experienced this. It is good to have opportunities for women to choose whether they want to have a family or not (I'm talking about opportunity here, not abortion). Unhappy mothers make unhappy and abused children. I was one of them. Then there are the questions of incest and rape. Being an Irish Catholic, I know the stories of all the unwanted children in orphanages who were terribly abused. It was a sad chapter. Even birth control is being legislated now and it is not as available. Why do we want to go backwards? There is so much demonizing of race, gender, religion, and political beliefs. It's so important for us all to be kind and understanding of all, but it comes with educating ourselves to history and looking at things from more than one angle. I am glad that women are elevating themselves and releasing themselves from the bondage of societal chains. I think the 'women in white' did not stand because there, again, was a man trying to legislate their lives by overstating the facts. I want my daughters and my sons to feel equal in society and have opportunities and options. It had been so one-sided for so long. Women around the world are still struggling under Patriarchal rule. I honor your bravery in speaking your truth. There are other sides to truth, too. Hopefully we can honor all sides. xx K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, your reply is below. . . sorry but I pushed the wrong button! Pat :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Karen, thank you for your message and bringing to light some very important issues which I understand. I'm sorry as I didn't mean to come across judgmental in any way. It just bothered me that these women in white last night in my view lost their individuality. At the same time, I feel women have every right (if not more) in anything they wish to do in this world. My main point was late term abortion. And, I would never judge someone as only they know their story. Thank you for taking time to read and comment on my blog. You're a dear friend. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, I totally agree with you. What on earth has happened to the decency of women in our country today. It is sad and appalling to me. I pray that this misguided path will come to an end....before too much damage is done to our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Pat! I was so glad to read your post, in which you stand up for the most human and humanitarian virtues. Love and nurturing, protecting the lives of those least able to defend themselves. As many have said, our society will not thrive with everyone talking about rights; it's our responsibilities we should be concerned about fulfilling. We do not have any right to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, I just want to say that I appreciate what you wrote. I am not orthodox, but I mostly agree with it all (and look forward to reading the article you linked to - to see what I think of that). I'm not just commenting though, to agree with you, but to let you know I appreciate that you wrote honestly and passionately, but with kindness and respect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Pat, You spoke to my heart and articulated all the things I have been feeling for a long time. It is a very sad day when women stand up to applaud the "right" to kill their own child. I am not orthodox but I belive that tomorrow is the beginning of your Lenten season. We began ours on Ash Wednesday. I pray it will be a time of great blessing to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!