Saturday, September 1, 2018

Reflections and Knitting!

Hi everyone.  September is here and it seems like the summer months are a distant memory.  I like to keep up on current events but lately the news has been so very depressing.  Sometimes it boggles my mind what I read in the headlines such as boycotting In-N-Out Burger, or the ridiculous law that the Egyptian parliament wants to pass on making it illegal to name your newborn baby a western name!  I've never heard of such madness before.  It was somber yet refreshing this morning to watch Senator McCain's funeral where everyone came together for the good of mankind.  So, to relax what little mind I have left, I indulge in my crafts. . .

My husbands two brothers and their families from the east coast joined us for a week here in sunny California.  We had a wonderful time together and ended our visit at the Montage Resort on the Pacific Ocean where we enjoyed coffee on the terrace.

I finished knitting my astrantia socks which will be given to my daughter.  You can find all the specifics here on my Ravelry page if you wish.  

I had a good laugh about these socks after my son sent me the above message.  Yes, the yarn cost $26.00 but what can I say?  If you're a crafter, you buy what you like. . .
  
I am so very excited about my current knitting project.  If you recall, a couple of years ago I went to a knitting retreat in the upper peninsula of Michigan.  I received this huge cone of natural, undyed silk thread.  Originally, I had started another pattern but it just wasn't to my liking.  I found this new pattern and I'm in love with working on this.

It's my first time really knitting from charts and I was hesitant.  But, luckily, the charts are well written with easy stitch icons to memorize.  I do have proper stitch markers but they would be placed at the yarn overs which make the yarn overs not tight enough. Hence, my homemade yarn markers work great.  It's been fun seeing the pattern take shape, especially the edging on this particular pattern.

I've also have my crochet hook handy to do a quick crochet project now and then.  I bought this particular variegated thread in Turkey.  I found this pattern on Becki's website; she shares some beautiful things she creates.

I hope you have a fun and safe holiday weekend.  I'm off to my backyard where I'll be sitting by the pool with my knitting needles in hand.  Until next time . . .

With my best wishes to each of you,

Pat


6 comments:

  1. Hi Pat, yes the news can be quite disturbing and distressing at times. Your socks look great, very pretty too. I love your message from your son, very funny but true. Enjoy your crafts, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to ignore the news as much as possible. Your knitting is so pretty. I can't seem to settle down long enough to finish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also try to not read the news - nothing helps by reading it and better for me to stay peaceful and seek to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased you had a lovely time with family at the Montage Resort. It looks like a wonderful place where you can relax with loved ones. Your knitting and crocheting projects are beautiful and useful. You work with some intricate patterns and lovely yarn. Wishing you a peaceful September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately I have been reading and writing, and reciting and praying Philippians 4:6-7...focusing on the Good News while skimming the world news, and taking opinion surveys when I come across them.
    I am so glad you have had happy family gatherings, and I very much admire your beautiful stitching! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer has faded away here in the UK also, Pat. It's very autumnal and the leaves of some trees have just begun to turn. Haha, I did like the comparable cost of buying and making! I often think this when I make cakes but like crafters, bakers like to do it themselves. The news is often so depressing that I sometimes seriously consider not watching it at all!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!