Friday, October 27, 2017

A Week of Cake, Lefse, Party Food & Socks!

Hello my dear friends.  It's Friday morning here and our heat wave has passed.  It felt like going into a furnace each time I walked outside this past week.  Hopefully, we can enjoy some nice fall weather southern California style!

It's been a nice week here at home.  Earlier this week we had some friends over for tea and cake.  I enjoyed using my English bone china tea cups that I've collected for years and years. (I inherited most of them from my dear Mother).  I made this seed cake from a recipe I found on the Simple Living blog.  I made it in my new 7" round cake pan and it turned out great.  I was so pleased.

Do you enjoy drinking tea out of pretty teacups?  Each afternoon I drink a cup of tea from one of my favorite teacups.  It just makes me feel like it is a treat and an afternoon enjoyment.

Yesterday, I met up with my dear Daughters of Norway friends and we made lefse.  It's my job to roll the dough and I always look forward to this activity.  I had to leave early but I know they made a lot of this delicious flatbread.

In the evening my daughter hosted a party and I made these appetizers to share.  It's an easy recipe and they make a nice addition to a party.  You'll find the recipe at the bottom of this post.

It's been awhile since I shared any knitting, crocheting or needlepoint.  I finished the socks above.  I called them my Aegean Socks since I knit them while vacationing on the Aegean Sea.  You can find the specifics here on my Ravelry page.

Button
If you happen to enjoy knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting, etc., please check out #stitchingsanta 2017.  Sewchet is hosting a secret santa/swap and you can sign up at her blog.  There are two categories to choose from; knitting/crochet or sewing.  I think it will be fun.  Sign up now if you want to join in as the deadline is October 31!  All the info in included in the link above.

I'd better start my day and see what Lilly is up to.  I think she's outside hunting geckos!  Enjoy your day and I look forward to hear from you!

With my best wishes,

Pat
Puff Pastry Appetizer
1 Package puff pastry
1 small potato 
1 to 2 tablespoons milk or water
1/4 cup to 1/3 cup feta cheese (I use Bulgarian sheep's feta)
1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
fresh chopped parsley - 1 tablespoon
fresh chopped dill or dried dill- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tsp dried mint
fresh chopped sage
salt and pepper
1 beaten egg

**Note**You can use any combination of cheese and herbs you may like to make this pastry.  Since I have an allergy to cows milk, I use sheep's milk cheese hence the Romano and Bulgarian feta.

Grease muffin tins.  (I used a 12 count and a 6 count muffin tin). I use puff pastry squares and cut each square into 4 pieces approximately 2" x2".  If you use a large sheet of puff pastry, cut into 2" by 2" squares.  Lightly place pastry into muffin tin; gather dough and place in muffin tin but don't press into tin.  Let the dough kind of float as when it bakes, it will fill into the tin.  

To make the filling, microwave potato for about 3 1/2 minutes. Peel and mash adding a little milk or water.  Don't add too much liquid as you want the mashed potato to be on the dryer side.  Add in cheeses and herbs.  Be careful with the salt as if your cheese is salty, add less salt.  Add in pepper and then beaten egg.  Stir mixture well until it is blended.

Place about 1 tablespoon of filling onto each pastry square.  (I usually divide the mixture in the bowl and that way I can judge how much filling to put into each square).  Place filled muffin tins into a 400 degree pre-heated oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown and puffed.

Remove from tin and let cool on a wire rack.  Serve and enjoy!  

Although the recipe might look complicated, it is very, very easy.  You can adjust the filling to any taste you might like. 



 


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe Pat. I will be making these for our next cooking club meeting next week! I enjoyed them so much last night. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. ~Heike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your weather cooled off, ours has too, finally. I only drink tea in the Fall and Winter. Would love to drink from such a pretty cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what pretty tea cups!!!! I LOVE them!!! The last 2 days have been only classic fiesta ware tea cups that are dish-washerable, as my days were too exhausting. The dish washer did 3 loads of dishes today! (we had left over dishes to be cleaned from yesterday). Housekeeping sure is a lot of work! I like the seedcake! neat about the size cake tin you have! It's so nice to have blog friends who love beauty and such things! nice socks too! I hope someday to learn to knit socks! but one thing at a time, right! God bless you and thanks for your comments on my blog, always a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love to use a pretty teacup and saucer and even my mugs are bone china as it makes the tea taste so much nicer. No heatwave here, gradually getting greyer and duller, even though it has been quite mild for October xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a wonderful tea you had with all the pretty teacups and delicious cake. I love tea, but usually drink from a sturdy mug. My china is packed away for another time.....Your socks look so cozy and such lovely colors, too. We are having a couple of days of warm sunshine and I was able to open the windows and air things out. The appetizer looks delicious - thank you for the recipe. Hope it stays cool for you now and that the fire danger is over and that Lily doesn't bring you any surprises :0 hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. LEFSE is sooo good! Being an American transplanted in Norway, lefse was one of the first Norwegian foods I ate and have a great fondness for. :) It's wonderful to see you baking it! All your china and serving pieces are lovely. I love the ritual of taking tea, especially the English way. And I used to collect a lot of tea thing. A trans-Atlantic move many years ago meant downsizing, and then I stop collected... but still have a few favorite pieces I use all the time. Your sock knitting is great inspiration to see! I've enjoyed crochet and knitting for a long time... but have yet to master socks! :/ Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!